Monday, September 5, 2011

Where I Am From......

I am from the sound of crickets in the evening, from watching the sun set behind the hills and catching fireflies in my grandmother’s field.
I am from having the view of the Ohio River from front porch, riding a jet ski or a boat every day of the week, watching the water rush out of the dam like a raging rapids and fishing the dark is more than a song.
I am from the beauty of the Iris, more than a flower, the name of my beloved grandmother, the heart of my family, now our guardian angel.
I am from annual family reunions and being more than family, being friends, having so many red heads that the reunion looks like an Irish pub, from my wonderful mother Diana and an absent father Jerry but a stepfather deserving of being called Dad and the two most important people, my whole world, two people I would give my life for, my babies Raustyn and Tiauna .
Being my son’s number one fan in everything he does from playing baseball and football to racing his four wheelers and seeing the smile my daughter has when she sees me cheer for her when she shows me something new.
I am from the stand strong for what you believe in, have a big heart, and never be afraid to ask someone for help.
From cheer for the blue n gold until you lose your voice and sing Country Roads at the end of each game.
I am from Heaven is your destination, live for the Lord, the belief that you must forgive to be forgiven.
I'm from the Ohio Valley, the small town with one stop light, one gas station, the town of Sistersville, WV. The love of Dairy Queen ice cream and pizza from the Fort, and being the mother of the Tyler County Fair Prince.
From the going Snipe hunting with my older cousins to find out Snipes don’t exist and being left in the woods for two hours, the playing board games and playing Yooker and Rummy until you are so tired you can’t see the numbers on the cards.
I am from hanging out with my best friends every day, covering ourselves with tanning oil and laying out all day, getting our nails done, and getting dressed up to go out and dance, waking up the next morning to laugh about the night before.
I am a West Virginia girl……..

1 comment:

  1. This is fantastic! Your life seems layered, complex and very real! Looking forward to seeing the movie!

    ReplyDelete